Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Letters to a NEW Teacher

I found this book extremely informative. It was very interesting to read about different ways to handle situations.

1) Handling Pressure
I was attracted to this issue because I found it something that I struggle with not only as a teacher but in my daily life. I often feel that I am overwhelmed and am unsure of what direction I should go in. One point that I found interesting was “see yourself as important to your students.” I believe that you need to personally feel that your job has purpose. In education, if you dislike your job kids can tell.


2) What Works and Why?
Initially I wanted to read about this topic because I felt that it was a well rounded issue that briefly explained skills that are needed to be a successful teacher. After reading about this issue I felt that a lot of the things we have to do through our teaching program are in actuality more relevant that I had previously thought. Everything that is talked about in this chapter, I am already familiar with because of my preservice training.


3) Professional Reading
Over the past five years I have not been able to read for enjoyment as much as I would have liked. I decided to look into this issue because I wanted to hear the author’s opinion on the importance of professional readings and other related issues. After reading this section I realize that important information about honing in the craft of teaching can be found from professional readings. Another thing that seems obvious is that teachers can learn a lot from other teachers.

4) The Teacher’s Power
I felt that this article would help explain the issue of social emotional education more to me. I was also attracted to the heading in the table of contents “Helping students find their own voice.” In our world today I have seen teachers on the new who were convicted of taking advantage of their students. This should never happen. Teachers must use their authority correctly. Teachers play a huge role in a child’s life. It is a shame that there are people in the world who change the perceptions of teachers by crossing the line.

5) The Teacher’s Role During a Classroom Crisis
During my student teaching I experienced many bomb threats. This required me to act in a situation that I did not have any training in. I hoped that this article would have some tips and suggestions on what I need to do if a crisis were to arise. I learned that preparedness is key. That people never know how they will act in a crisis, but a plan will help the teacher act effectively in a crisis situation.

No comments: