Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Letters

Creating a teacing unit

I chose this issue because, although I have created many units throughout my education in the program, I feel that creating interesting and enriching units is a skill that you can always use. What I ended up learning from the letter revolved more around elements that can make any class and student successful. There is no right or wrong way to create a unit. The important issues that Burke brings up all seemed to back up thoughts and ideas that I have been working with throughout my teaching and my education.

Reading aloud builds community.

Have students reach ideas naturally. Ideas and concepts should not be forced into what state standards want students to learn from a text.

Give kids a variety of ways to explore a text (DIFFERENTIATED INSTRUCTION!).
Variation is essential.

Perhaps the most interesting thing that Burke advises (although I'm not sure, by reading his other letters, that he actually practices this) is to think and do other things that do not revolve around teaching. This is essential to your personal health as a teacher.

Every teaching is going to have different ideas about what to include/not include within a lesson plan or unit. Burke did the right thing by discussing universal elements that will help any teacher create creative units....and he gave me some pretty fun ideas for House on Mango Street, should I ever teach it.

Approaches to Teaching Writing

I chose this issue because writing in any classroom is important to me. It has always been an asperation of mine to teach a writing workshop, in high school, middle school or otherwise. I also focused on writing with my Action Research, so the subject has a great deal of importance to me.
Things that I found most important in the reading were tips like "Repsond like a reader" when reading student writing. "Writing teachers should be doctors, not judges". This quote spoke to me the most. As teachers we arent going to make a difference in our students writing by making short, confusing comments on our students papers. We need to be specific and invest ourselves in creating a dialogue on paper.

Writing is amoung the most personal aspects of learning. Perhaps this is why students are so afraid of it?

Students must have a sense of pride/ownership for their writing. Especially if you want them to take chances with their writing.

What I thought was a bit strange about this letter, though, was the long email that Burke wrote to a student of his...on a friday night. Now thats dedication. While the overall outcome of the email was positive and he was able to further build a relationship with a new student, I still thought that grading papers for four hours on a Friday night was a bit much. Watch a movie, at the very least.

Engaging Students and Competing for Their Attention

Every teacher struggles with this, I feel. Even veteran teachers. Each class is different and presents new challenges. I felt that Burke's letter was uplifting and provided a support that was needed. The article that he included just seemed to be a repeat of things that I have read for the past three years in the program. While it offers helpful hints and tips to implement, it wasnt anything that I havent read before. I think the best way to keep students attention is to just keep self assessing your performance as a teacher and the performance of your students. Asking what they like, dislike, and finding a balance.

Harnessing Self-Doubt

First of all, I love that he referenced the book Blindness. It's wonderful and shocking and everyone should read it. Now, on to the issues.

I chose this letter because self-doubt is something that I experience every day, especially as a novice teacher. While I have had many positive experiences through the course of my student teaching, I still always wonder if I can make it as a teacher. If I can make a difference. While I was expecting some inspirational words from Burke in this letter, I felt that the inclusion of his own self-doubt and his correspondance with the student that it spawned from was very useful. If a seasoned teacher still worries about his performance and constantly assessing his interactions with students on a daily basis, then this self-doubt is a natural, normal (and useful) thing for any teacher.

The Teacher's Role During a Classroom Crisis

I chose this particular issue from experiences and stories that I have heard during my student teaching. Not a year has gone by where a student has not died from a car crash, 4 Wheeler accident, or suicide at my PDS. My PDS has run the mill of tragic events and as a teacher that loves writing and wants students to be open and honest in their work, I have come across pieces that openly discuss these tragic events (in particular, the suicide of a smart boy that had once charmed the entire school, student and faculty alike).

Burke explains that, while it may feel wrong, it is important to keep on going when there is a tragedy in the school. I feel that it is important to discuss what occurred and to let students know that there is help for them should they need it but it is also important to bring students back to that sense of normalcy.

No comments: